Monday, February 1, 2016

India Part 1 - Wedding Invites and Meeting Family


See...I took this picture of the Taj Majal!
It's been about two weeks since I've been back from my travels to India. Suffice it to say, it was an once-in-a-lifetime experience for me that I will never forget. Actually I can't forget because I have pictures, outfits and a bunch of bangles to prove that I was there.

Now I started writing this post a day ago, but realized that one post will not encompass what I wanted to convey about this trip. So I’ve decided to make this a serial. There is so much I want to convey aside from describing places, people, and events, I want to talk about travel in general and other insights.  

This all started with an invite to a wedding. A's boss and founder of the start-up he works for decided to get married in India (He's Indian). A has known about this since the summer of last year but as far as he was concerned, his boss would be away from work. Or so he thought. His boss, let's call him P, specifically requested that A attend the wedding. A wasn't sure if he could go, but hell...how do you say no to going to India? At first he thought he'd go alone. Then he asked me if I'd accompany him. Apparently I couldn't say no to India either, after some deliberation I said yes. While I was trying to make up my mind, his son also agreed to go to India.

This set into motion various events that was not completely related to travel, because I hadn't been formally introduced to his kids at this point. I’m still a mystery to his daughter. His ex-wife just recently discovered my existence because of a silly, somewhat childish circumstance that required A to reveal to her that he was dating and that he was dating me for some time. He had meant to have a meaningful talk to her about it, but the timing was never right. And for the record, the circumstance that prompted all of this wasn’t truly horrible or even eye-opening, just something that looked like a scene from a bad tv sitcom from the 70's.

Anyway, so I had to meet his son, see if we all go along before A was comfortable taking the both of us. We met for dinner over bowls of Pho and rice plates as we discussed our plan to see if this was doable. By the end of the evening, we all agreed that this could all work.

We only had about a month and a half to prep for this trip, during the holiday season. Any enthusiasm I had for the Christmas and New Year holiday was tempered by the need to get my passport renewed, to get my immunization shots in order and researching the shit out of what to expect when traveling to India.

While most of it was helpful, the research made me quite fearful of the trip. Don't drink the water. Don't give money to beggars, it's a crime syndicate. India will overwhelm you and steal your money and your dignity. There were heeded warnings for woman traveling to India alone. Unfortunately, it basically said that men will stare at you in a not friendly way, so try not to stand out too much, lest men will think you’re a whore. As you can imagine, I wasn't sure how to take this all in, but it was making me anxious. So much so, that by the time I boarded the plane at SFO, I felt physically sick.  It didn’t help that hours before we literally boarded that plane, A met my mother and I met his ex-wife in person. 

Maybe the 20-ish hours on the plane did something to my brain, because all that anxiety disappeared, replaced by a sudden familiarity once when we landed at New Delhi. A commented that it didn't feel like he was in India, until we stepped out of the airport terminal and became inundated with airport pick-up traffic. It was crowded, noisy, full of people, the air was humid and thick with pollution. To me it felt like I've experience this before. Because it felt just like when I traveled to the Philippines, some years ago. Now I know that India isn't anything like the Philippines, yet throughout the trip I couldn't help but compare the two countries. But somehow, just that past experience made me more at ease being in India than any of the travel research I did in the states.

Our adventure was just beginning...

No comments: